June 16 – September, 2016
The world’s most famous magician began life as Erik Weisz, the son of a Hungarian rabbi. In 1878 immigration to the U.S. transformed Erik Weisz into Ehrich Weiss. It was the first of many transformations for the man who would become the first international superstar.
Inescapable, curated by performer and magician David London, tells the story of how Ehrich Weiss became Harry Houdini and investigates the technologies, marketing prowess and entertainment trends that transformed him into a superstar. On one level, the exhibit is pure fun – incorporating magic, escapes, séances, films, rare artifacts and hands-on illusions. On a deeper level, the exhibit pulls back the curtain, revealing the story of the man behind the image.
In addition to the exploration of his early life, visitors will find sections illuminating stages of his life and career:
- Setting the Stage describing the struggles of Houdini’s early life and the difficulties faced by his father and includes his father’s Rabbinical Ordination certificate.
- The Self Liberator features a spectacular display of reproduction posters, photos and press clippings, as well as original handcuffs and lockpicking tools that Houdini used in his performances.
- On the Cutting Edge investigates his exploration of new technologies, features clips from his film career and a chance to listen to a rare recording of his voice.
- Houdini’s Third Act: Exposes Frauds showcases his crusade against deceptive spiritual mediums.
- The Final Bow/Curtain Call sets the record straight on the events that led to his death and explores the séances to contact him by his wife, Bess.
“Houdini in Wisconsin” shines a spotlight on his time in Milwaukee, how it impacted his myth-creation, and the many times he returned to perform in the State.
Throughout the exhibit, visitors also will have the opportunity to try out some of Houdini’s magic tricks, including the Milk Can Escape and Metamorphosis.
ESCAPE ROOM CHALLENGE by Breakout Games
Inspired by Houdini’s great escapes and stunts, search for clues and solve puzzles to see if you can escape from our Escape Room before time runs out! The Escape Room Challenge gives you 10 minutes to find your way out of handcuffs like the great Harry “Handcuff” Houdini. The Challenge is first come, first serve. Sign up at the front desk for your chance to escape!
*3-4 people can comfortably fit in the Escape Room at once
*Ages 12 and up